|Newry & Armagh|
Tynan is a village, townland (of 375 acres) and parish in County Armagh, situated largely in the barony of Tiranny, with some areas in the barony of Armagh. It had a population of 71 people (35 households) in the 2011 Census. The name is from the Irish Tuíneán, meaning "watercourse".)
Places of interest
Tynan Abbey has an extensive demesne, a country house belonging to the Stronge family was situated here until it was destroyed by the Provisional IRA in 1981. The ruins have since been demolished. The grounds hold an extensive cemetery with grave stones going back centuries and others worn beyond recognition.
Tynan has a High cross in the village's church yard, dating from AD 700–900. It shows a carving of Adam and Eve under an apple tree.
Tynan was formerly served by mainline trains of the Great Northern Railway and was also the eastern terminus of the narrow gauge Clogher Valley Railway (which opened in 1887 and closed in 1941). Tynan railway station (on the Clogher Valley railway opened on 2 May 1887 and shut 1 January 1942. Tynan and Caledon railway station on the mainline opened on 25 May 1858 and shut on 1 October 1957.
- Peter McManus, recipient of the Victoria Cross.
- The antiquarian William Reeves was the Church of Ireland Rector of Tynan in the 1860s.
Parish of Tynan
- "Tynan". http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/. Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- "Tynan". NI Statistics and Research Agency. http://www.nisra.gov.uk/census/2011/results/settlements.html. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- PlaceNamesNI - Tynan
- "Tynan and Tynan and Caledon stations". Railscot - Irish Railways. http://www.railscot.co.uk/Ireland/Irish_railways.pdf. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (Church of England Church Commissioners, 1868), p. 771