St Peter, Tewin
|North East Hertfordshire|
Tewin is set in a rural landscape which retains many features characteristic of ancient countryside and which supports a wide variety of wildlife. The village contains areas set aside for the Hertfordshire and Middlesex Wildlife Trust which are managed by volunteers, these include Tewin Orchard and Hopkyns Wood Nature reserve.
The village's name is from the Old English language and may mean "Tiw's meadow", after one of the early Saxon gods of war. The name appears in varying forms over the ages: in the Domesday Book it is recorded as Tewinge and Theinge, and in the 16th century Tewinge, Tewing and Twying. It is thought that the village's name settled down as Tewin in the 18th century.
About the village
The Diaries of John Carrington a farmer and minor public official document life in Tewin from 1798-1810.
The main village of Tewin, is situated around a Lower Green, which is surrounded by the village memorial hall, the Rose and Crown pub, Tewin Junior School and a village shop and post office. Half a mile to the north is Upper Green, which hosts various sporting activities such as tennis, cricket and football, as well as the Plume of Feathers pub.
Saint Peter's is the village church, situated half a mile to the south west of Lower Green.
There is an active sports clubs, and social events are organised by various groups around the village including the long running Tewin Players.
The village Memorial Hall in the heart of the village provides accommodation for many of our activities, and funds raised by a new supporters club, as well as money from other sources, has enabled a programme of repair and redecoration to take place.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Village Website
- Village Pub Website
- The Artful Potter, come and paint pottery in Tewin
- Networking Site for Dad's in Tewin or with Kids at Tewin School
- "Memorandoms for..." The Diary between 1798 and 1810 of John Carrington, edited by W Branch Johnson Published by Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1973