St Giles, Tadlow
Tadlow is a little village in Cambridgeshire, in the southwest of the county and sitting on the bank of the River Cam (or Rhee). It is 12 miles southwest of Cambridge and 6 miles northeast of Biggleswade in Bedfordshire. In 2001 the population was 181.
Tadlow's name is Old English, from Tades hlaw, meaning "Tad's Hill" or "Tad's burial mound" perhaps after an early chieftain who established or owned the village. The name appers as Tadeslaue in 1080 and Tadelai in the 1086 Domesday Book.
The church is built in the Early English style with more modern Perpendicular additions and comprises a chancel, organ chamber, south porch, 13th Century nave, and a 14th Century western tower containing a clock and a peal of three bells. It was restored by William Butterfield in 1860 It is a Grade II* listed building.
There were 28 peasants present in 1086; the population peaked around 1300 but fell after 1400 to a level which it maintained until the 19th Century. Tadlow village declined after 1660. The mediæval village probably developed around a street running south-south-east from the church. A hamlet called Pincote (now in Hatley parish, but probably decayed after 1450. New houses were built in the 1970s between two groups of 19th Century cottages.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- 'Parishes: Tadlow', A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 8
- Mills, A.D. (1998). A Dictionary of English Place-names. Second Edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford. p338. ISBN 0-19-280074-4
- Information on Tadlow from GENUKI
- Cambridgeshire Churches: Tadlow
- National Heritage List England no. 1317879: Tadlow church