Stockton on the Forest
|Stockton on the Forest
A house on The Village, Stockton
Stockton on the Forest is a village in the North Riding of Yorkshire, just to the north-east of the City of York. It may be found just outside the York Ring Road, strung along a single road running out from Heworth in the city's conurbation, a lane south of the A64 road to Scarborough. At the 2001 census, the parish had a recorded population of 1,261.
Stockton on the Forest is a good example of a linear village, as it follows only one main road for approximately a mile and a half, branching out only near the west end; the road is labelled on maps 'Stockton Lane' or 'Sandy Lane' but in Stockton on the Forest itself the road is named "The Village". The houses along the Village do not have house numbers but individual names, many with references to agriculture or local features or individual fancy, of no particular order or logic, which can make orientation a puzzle for those unfamiliar with the village.
The village has one church, the Holy Trinity Church (rebuilt in 1843).
The Methodist Chapel was closed in May 2010.
About the village
Close by the village is Stockton Hall, a monor house built around 1800 as a country house. It is now a secure unit for mentally ill patients. The hall is a brick built 3-storey building with a 5-bay frontage and is grade II listed. It was acquired by barrister George Lloyd of Leeds, from whom it passed to his daughter Miss Alicia Maria Lloyd. She left it in 1892 to her nephew George William Lloyd.
The village has a busy local pub, called The Fox. It has a primary school accommodating approximately 100 pupils.
Stockton on the Forest was served by Warthill railway station on the York to Beverley Line between 1847 and 1959.
A Scout group has operated in the village since 2000, consisting of a Beaver Colony, Cub Pack and Scout Troop.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Stockton on the Forest)
- Stockton on the Forest & Hopgrove Community
- Information on Stockton on the Forest from GENUKI
- Stockton Hall
- Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)
- Stockton Hall - British Listed Buildings