Stapleton is a small hamlet and civil parish in Herefordshire adjacent to the border with Radnorshire. The civil parish corresponds to the township of the ancient parish of Presteigne, one of five in Herefordshire. It is bounded by Willey to the north and west; by Upper Kinsham to the east; and by Presteigne to the south. The hamlet itself has approximately 25 residents as well as the ruins of a mediæval castle.
Historically, the hamlet was once more important than its now larger neighbour, Presteigne, during the Middle Ages, but eventually slipped into decline while its neighbour grew. There was also a recent archaeological excavation of a field, which found some ancient remains. The township began life in 1144 when the lord of Richards Castle was expelled from Presteigne. In response he built Stapleton castle which became the new centre of his lordship in the Welsh Marches.
The village is surrounded by farmland, from which most of its employment is based. There is also a gardens, Bryan's Ground, which attracts tourists.
Images and scenery
- Remfry, P.M., Nine Castles of Burford Barony, 1048 to 1438 (ISBN 1-899376-39-9)
- Article on Stapleton Castle