St. Mary's Church, Stapleton
|Penrith and The Border|
Stapleton is a village in Cumberland, some eight miles away from Longtown and around twelve miles from Carlisle, in the north of the county. It is to be found just east of the B6318, its nearest main road.
The 2011 Census recorded a population of 249.
Sights about the village
The South Tynedale Railway stop Kirkhaugh Station is located 18 miles from Stapleton. The South Tynedale Railway is a heritage railway that runs from Alston in Cumberland to Lintley in Northumberland and is renowned for its location, as it is England's highest narrow gauge railway line.
St Mary's Church is the Parish's church. It is located in the centre of the township and was built in 1830 on the site of a church thought to be dating back to the 12th century.
Lanercost Priory stands around six miles from Stapleton, at Lanercost. The original priory was built in 1169, as a monastery but was destroyed after the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536 by King Henry VIII. The church remains as the parish church, known as the Church of St Mary Magdalene, and the priory ruin are in the care of English Heritage.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Stapleton, Cumberland)