Bridleway in the largely rural community of Sesswick
It was originally one of the townships of the ancient parish of Bangor Monachorum (Bangor-on-Dee). The neighbouring township of Royton was incorporated in it in 1935.
The name Sesswick, recorded as Sesewyke in 1286, is one of the names indicating an early English presence; it is possibly derived from the Old English personal name "Seassa", along with -wic, meaning "settlement". However, the Wrexham historian Alfred Neobard Palmer, noting that the name was recorded as "Chespric" in the Domesday of Cheshire, speculated that it may have come from "Chadswick" in reference to land in the township being owned by St Chad, the first bishop of Mercia.
The parish's only village is Cross Lanes: it also includes several small hamlets (though no settlement itself has the name of Sesswick). In the 2001 census Sesswick had a total population of 591 in 236 households.
The area gave its name to a rural station, Sesswick Halt, on the former Cambrian Railways' Wrexham and Ellesmere Railway; the line and station closed in 1962.
- Charles, B. G. Non-Celtic place-names in Wales, University College London, 1938, p.206
- Palmer, A. N. A history of ancient tenures of land in North Wales, 1910, p.241
- Sesswick Community, Office for National Statistics
This Denbighshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.