|Website:||Preston Mill and Phantassie Doocot|
There has been a mill on the site since the 16th century. The present mill dates from the 18th century and is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland. It was used commercially until 1959, and it produced oatmeal. The River Tyne still drives the water wheel, and the machinery can still be seen at work by visitors taking part in a tour. There is also an exhibition about milling, and a mill pond.
The engineer and millwright Andrew Meikle maintained the mill in the 18th century. In 1948 a flood submerged the buildings, and in 1950 a local land owner gave the mill to the Trust.
The milling firm Rank Hovis McDougall provided help with the renovation and expertise to allow the mill to be operative again.
Preston Mill consists of a kiln, a mill, and the miller's house. The mill wheel dates back to 1909. The mill is loved by visitors, painters and photographers, especially the kiln with its conical red pantile roof.
- CANMORE/RCAHMS record for Preston Mill
- RCAHMS record for Preston Mill
- CANMORE/RCAHMS record for Preston Mill, Weir
- National Trust for Scotland webpage for Preston Mill
- National Trust for Scotland education resources for Preston Mill
- Poem about Preston Mill by Rowena M Love, published by the SCOTS (Scottish Corpus Of Texts & Speech) Project and the University of Glasgow