St Peter's Church, Pertenhall
|North East Bedfordshire|
Pertenhall is a small village in Bedfordshire, close to the border of Huntingdonshire. The neighbouring village just to the west is Swineshead, which is in a detached part of Huntingdonshire, the main body of that county looming to the north.
The oldest building in the village is the Norman parish church. There are also a number of interesting buildings such as the Manor House, Hoo Farm and Green End Farm House, all of which date back several hundred years.
The village is drawn out along the B660. It begins at Chapel Yard, a name derived from the Moravian Chapel there, and is characterised by a series of 'Ends', namely Wood End (a cul-de-sac, terminating at a footpath known locally as 'the Track', Chadwell End (a thoroughfare), derived from the nearby Chad Well (named from St Chad) and leading to Green End at the south.
The original of the name 'Pertenhall' is uncertain but popular etymology has it as "Peter's Hill", based on the hill by which stands the parish church, St Peter's.
Pertenhall is part of the Stodden Hundred of Bedfordshire. It shares a parish council with Swineshead, though not its ecclesiastical parish.
The village's oldest building is the church, which dates from Norman times.
The remains of a Moravian chapel stand at Chapel Gate. Little remains of the chapel itself but there are still gravestones in the graveyard.
The Village Hall was formerly the Village School which was in use from 1870 to 1946. The school was built on a site bequeathed by the Reverend John King Martyn M.A. and a plaque in the hall commemorates this. John King Martyn was the grandson of the botanist John Martyn.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|