Welsh: Hen Golwyn
Old Colwyn seen from Rhos-on-Sea
|Post town:||Colwyn Bay|
It hosted the National Eisteddfod in 1941.
Old Colwyn was once overlooked by the Hotel 70 Degrees, (just above Tan-y-Lan) so named because the architect who designed it used 70 degree angles in its construction. Built in 1972, it was demolished in 2007, to be replaced by a housing development. It also has easy access onto the promenade and beach, as well as a protruded cliff area known as Penmaenhead, marked by a disused stone utility house. This is a popular spot amongst teenagers for the dangerous practice of "cliff jumping" when tide is in and the water is deep enough, though to date nobody has been reported injured.
The Fairy Glen
In Old Colwyn is an area of woodland called the 'Fairy Glen', a name which dates from the Victorian era and is a common name from that period, attractive to visitors of a romantic disposition, as for example thereis a "Fairy Glen" in Penmaenmawr. This area has recently undergone a regeneration with funding from the council and it is now possible to walk through it easily. The Fairy Glen is subject to an ownership dispute between the local council and the water company, Dŵr Cymru, each claiming that the maintenance of the area is the responsibility of the other.
Sport and Big Society
- Football: Colwyn Bay Football Club
- 3rd Colwyn Bay (Old Colwyn) Scout Group
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Old Colwyn)