Kinpurnie Castle Lodge
|Dialling code:||01828 650|
Newtyle is a village in the west of Angus.
The village is to be found 11 miles to the north of Dundee in the southwest of Strathmore, between Hatton Hill and Newtyle (Heather Hill) in the Sidlaw Hills. The village sits on gently sloping ground with a northwest aspect. The main communication link is the B954 road. The population was estimated at 800 in 2004.
The original village of Newtyle was centred around the church and what are now Kirkton Road and Smiddy road. Hatton Castle to the south and Newbigging to the north lie within the parish boundary.
Newtyle was the northern terminus for the first commercial railway in Scotland, the Dundee and Newtyle Railway which opened in 1832.The grid street plan of the central part of the village was laid out shortly after the railway opened and was intended to form the basis for a manufacturing centre which could take advantage of the communications link to Dundee.
Rail services to and from Newtyle were in decline for a number of years before the line was closed in the 1960s under the Beeching Axe. Most of the railway buildings have since been demolished but the embankments and cuttings remain a prominent feature of the countryside surrounding the village.
There are no major employers in Newtyle, but a number of small local businesses also provide employment within the village. A large part of the working population commutes to Dundee.
- William Murdoch Duncan, (1979) Newtyle. A Planned Manufacturing Village, Forfar Historical Society
- N. Ferguson [October 1995] Dundee and Newtyle Railway Including the Alyth and Blairgowrie Branches (Oakwood Library of Railway History) (hardcover), The Oakwood Press. ISBN 0-85361-476-8.