Newton, Lincolnshire

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Cottage in Newton (geograph 3109535).jpg
Cottage in Newton
Grid reference: TF046362
Location: 52°54’48"N, 0°26’41"W
Post town: Sleaford
Postcode: NG34
Dialling code: 01529
Local Government
Council: North Kesteven
Sleaford and
North Hykeham

Newton is a hamlet in Kesteven, the south-western part of Lincolnshire. The hamlet is found about eight miles east of Kesteven's main town, Grantham, seven miles south of Sleaford, and less than a mile south of the A52 road.


The entry for 'Newton' in the Domesday Book of 1086 describes the settlement as a bovate 15 acres, and:

M. In NEWTON Alsi had 7 bovates of land taxable, Land for 10 oxen, Odo has 1 plough, 1 sokeman on 1 bovate of this land; 5 villieins and 4 borders with 1½ ploughs, a church; 12 acres meadow, woodland; pasture 70 acres. Value before 1066 £4; now the same, Tallage 40 shillings.

It is estimated during this time that the population was 100 to 125 people.

Housing development has occurred since the mid-1990s, with the number of habituated buildings almost doubling. The population in 2007 was approximately 70 people compared to about 30 in the early 1980s, although the highest population recorded was 221 in 1846. Most of the surrounding land is owned by the Welby Estate and are farmed by the Sapperton Farming Company.

A previous blacksmith's building, The Old Smithy, was operational until about 1920. Later in the century it became ruined, and it was demolished in 2002.

Parish church

St Botolph's Church

The parish church is St Botolph's. It is an example of Early English Gothic, 14th- and 15th-century church architecture. However it stands on a site of an earlier church that is recorded in the Domesday Book.

The church, after falling into disrepair, was extensively restored in 1987, at which time five bells were hung instead of the previous three. The parish of Newton today falls under the care of the Rector of Folkingham.

About the village

Newton is largely within a conservation area and contains a number of listed buildings.

Newton's public house is The Red Lion, a 17th-century building.

Historic buildings include 17th-century Woodruff Cottage, 18th-century Newton Farmhouse, The Old Farmhouse, and Woodside House which is probably only a part of a larger house called West Hall whose estate included the land north to the A52 and west almost to Haceby.

The School House, built in 1874 by the Welby family, closed in 1970. In 1945 the new education act removed children over 11 and bicycles had to be provided for pupils to ride three miles to a school in Osbournby.

The 19th-century Moat House was erected on the site of the ruins of an earlier hall, on a site once occupied by a windmill. In the early 19th century the windmill was replaced by a summer house with a Chinese bridge over the moat.

The Old Post Office, a 17th-century building originally owned by the Segrave family, is called so because part of the house was a post office until about 1974.

Newton House, built in 1840 and extended in 1851, was built for the eldest Welby family son of the time. During the 1970s and 1980s the house was unoccupied and was bought and restored in the early 1990s. The Old Rectory, on the site of a previous rectory, was built at the same time as Newton House, as was Laundry Cottage which lies close to an artificial pool. The washing for Newton House was carried out in a wing of the cottage.

The Village Cross stands at the location of a school, built by the Welby family, that was demolished in 1939. The hamlet also contains a pottery studio and a post box.

Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Newton, Lincolnshire)