New Barnet Station Approach
New Barnet owes its conception to the building of the Great Northern Railway in 1850, when a station serving High Barnet was built, but located about a mile away from the town centre of High Barnet, so that this 'new' area quickly saw development. The main road (A110), Station Road and East Barnet Road, connects Barnet to East Barnet and is well served by buses.
The main commercial area in New Barnet is on East Barnet Road, near the railway station. A number of office blocks were built in Station Road in the 1960s & 70s. Some have now been converted to flats.
About New Barnet
A large supermarket opened 30 September 1980 and is surrounded by a cluster of small independent shops. These local shops are under threat of demolition from large schemes planned by Tesco and Asda stores.
Public houses in New Barnet include The Railway Tavern, The Railway Bell, The Builders Arms and The Lord Kitchener.
The main station in the area is
- New Barnet, a mainline station