Main Street, Mountnorris
|Council:|| Armagh, Banbridge|
|Newry and Armagh|
The townland of Mountnorris was historically called Aghnecranagh and Aghenecranagh (from Achadh na Cranncha, meaning 'Field of the wooded place'). In 1600, Lord Mountjoy built an earthwork fort and left a garrison of 400 men under the command of Captain Edward Blaney in Mountnorris. The area took its name by combining the names of Mountjoy and his campaign commander in the Low Countries, Sir John Norris.
By 1620, the village no longer had a garrison and in the 18th century passed into the hands of the Cope family of Loughgall, to become a rural settlement with no military connections. The village was the originally intended site of the Royal School but due to instability at the time in Ulster, the school was resituated to its current site in Armagh and was opened in 1608.
- Aghnecranagh - Placenames NI