The Millvale Arms
The area derives its name from the large number of mills, mainly linen that were set up in the early 19th century. The Camlough River here provided a quick source of power through water wheels. Most of these have been now demolished, the latest being Baillies Foundry. This was an impressive ruin. A six storey granite building, originally constructed in 1800 or so. This fell derelict in the late 1960s. Up to its recent demolition it still contained the rusting ruins of all its lathes and machinery.
About the village
The Old Beetle Mill was built in 1795 and stands at Millvale crossroads. The mill closed in 1940. A proposed redevelopment in a housing project failed and the Mill is starting to deteriorate very badly.
The local public house is the Millvale Arms, which is locally known as the Pit. The story goes that in the late 19th century a cockpit existed at the back of the pub, for cock fighting. The Quaker community who established the neighbouring village of Bessbrook, had a policy called the three P's Policy: no Pubs, no Police, or no Pawn Shops in the village, and so the Millvake Arms, standing just outside Bessbrook, fared very well.
The Craigmore Viaduct is near the village – an 18 arch railway viaduct which carries the main Belfast to Dublin railway line, and which is one of the most prominent features of the area.
The Doctors Hill in Millvale is a street so named because a doctor's surgery was built here in 1848, and County Road was renamed for it.