Meifod is a small village and parish seven miles north-west of Welshpool in Montgomeryshire. It is located in the valley of the River Vyrnwy on the A495 road. The River Banwy has a confluence with the Vyrnwy approximately two miles to the west of the village.
It is noted as the royal burial ground of many of the kings and princes of the Kingdom of Powys at various sites around the village. At the village centre is the parish church of St Tysilio and St. Mary which occupies a very large site. In addition, in common with many Welsh villages, there are a number of Nonconformist chapels with the village and its catchment area. The village has one pub, the King's Head and a convenience store (with a post office). In 2006, local rugby union team C.O.B.R.A built a new rugby clubhouse and two pitches. The club house has two bars and a balcony. The village football team plays in the amateur division.
The village also has a primary school, Ysgol Meifod (formerly Meifod County Primary School) and a modern village hall located next door which provides facilities for a wide variety of clubs and societies.
Dyffryn Hall, a Georgian period manor house, is situated to the west of the village and was home to Clement Davies, the Montgomeryshire MP and leader of the post-war Liberal Party between 1945 and 1956.
- Ysgol Meifod
- Photograph of headteacher and boys Meifod School 1890s
- Photograph of teachers and girls Meifod School 1890s
- BBC: Meifod
- 2001 Census Neighbourhood Statistics for Meifod
- Useful Information on Meifod
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Meifod and surrounding area
- Francis Frith photos of Meifod
- Genuki info on Meifod