Lych gate to Mathon Church
Mathon is a village and parish in western Worcestershire close to the border with Herefordshire. It lies in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, two miles west of Great Malvern and seven miles north-east of Ledbury. A small part of the ancient parish lies in the hundred of Radlow, Herefordshire. The village, which is small, is situated on Cradley Brook, near the Malvern Hills. The population of the civil parish was recorded in the 2011 census as 280.
The village is in a spur of Worcestershire west of the hills, with Herefordshire to north and south. Nearby villages include Cradley to the north and Colwall to the south (both in Herefordshire). West Malvern (in Worcestershire) is to the east, nestling against the hills, and was originally part of Mathon Parish. Mathon Park, with its lordly house, Mathom Lodge, is by West Malvern.
In 1014, King Ethelred II gave to a certain ealdorman Leofwine 'a district containing 4 mansae in the place which is called Mathon.' Mathon appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as consisting of 5 hides, of which 3 paid geld thiugh one was in Herefordshire. It is recorded as belonging to the Abbey of Pershore. In 1252, King Henry III granted the abbot of Pershore free warren in his manor of Mathon.
At the dissolution of the abbey the manor of Mathon was of the clear yearly value of £26 13s. 4½d. It was granted in 1542 to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, and they held the manor until 1869, when the manorial rights were vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are the present holders. The Dean and Chapter still hold historic al records in the form of Court Rolls and deeds for Mathon and various leases of the manor after the Dissolution.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|