Madden, County Armagh
Madden Parish Church
|Council:|| Armagh, Banbridge|
Madden or Maddan is a small village and townland in County Armagh, with a population of just 77 (in 31 households) at the 2011 Census.
The name is of uncertain origin but might be form the Irish language, as na Madain or Madán, perhaps meaning 'place of sticks'.
The first Church of Ireland church was built at Madden in 1709. The glebe-house, which is also in Madden, was erected by the incumbent, the Reverend James Jones, and is "large and handsome". The church is "a very commodious edifice", rebuilt in 1816, by aid of a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits, and recently repaired by aid of a grant of £157 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, according to Lewis in 1837.
The main sports in Madden are Gaelic games and road bowling. The local Gaelic Athletic Association club, Madden Raparees GAC (Ropairí na Madan), plays in county competitions at Intermediate level.
The road bowling club contains a number of All-Ireland champions at various grades.
- Madden, County Armagh - Placenames NI