The village is built on both banks of the River Eye below Upper Slaughter. The river here is crossed by a ford where the river widens in the village and also by several small stone footbridges joining the two sides of the village.
At the west end of the village there is a 19th-century water mill with an undershot waterwheel and a chimney for additional steam power. While the mill is built of red brick most of the 16th and 17th century homes in the village use Cotswold sandstone and are adorned with mullioned windows and often with other embellishments such as projecting gables.
Records exist showing that Lower Slaughter has been inhabited for over 1,000 years. The Domesday Book entry has the village name as “Sclostre”. It further notes that in 1066 and 1086 that the manor was in the sheriff's hands.
Lower Slaughter Manor, a Grade-II listed 17th-century house, was granted to Sir George Whitmore in 1611 and remained in his family until 1964.
The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin and dates originally from the 13th century. Much of the current structure was built in 1866; however, the spire and peal of six bells was recently restored.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Lower Slaughter)
- C. R. Elrington (editor) (1965). "Parishes: Lower Slaughter". A History of the County of Gloucester: volume 6. Institute of Historical Research. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66436. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Cotswold District Council Online". http://www.cotswold.gov.uk/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=993&tt=cotswold. Retrieved 25 April 2011.