The lough is approximately six miles long and varies in width from 400 yds to one mile. The average depth is six feet, with a maximum of 60. It drains into Lough Mask to the south via the Keel River.
Lough Carra was part of the estate of the well-known Moore family of Moore Hall.
- AI688.1 Kl. Repose of Indlide, abbot of Cera, and of Diarmait, son of 'In Caech'. [AU —; AU 689].
- Location map: 53°40’53"N, 9°14’27"W
- Moorehall and Lough Carra website with video documentary on the estate and the lake
- Lough Carra website provides a wide variety of information on the ecology, biodiversity, conservation, history and archaeology of Lough Carra and its lakeshore habitats
- Article from Irish Fisheries
- Article from Mayo on the Move
- Video documentary filmed on Lough Carra