Loch of the Lowes, Selkirkshire
The Loch of the Lowes lies in Selkirkshire, immediately south of its larger neighbour, St Mary's Loch. The two loch are joined by a stream and on the narrow meadow between them stands the Tibbie Shiels Inn.
St Mary's Loch is the largest loch in the county, and the largest amongs the neighbouring counties too, and its western shoreline marks the boundary of Peeblesshire, while the Loch of the Lowes is wholly in Selkirkshire.
In Blaue's and Pont's atlas of 1654, the two adjacent lochs, today St Mary's Loch and the Loch of the Lowes, are together marked as the 'Lochs of Lowis'. By Ainslie's map of 1776 St Mary's Loch was distinct in the cartography and its smaller neighbour was named 'Loch of ye Lows'. The spelling 'Loch of the Lowes' had settled down at least by the time of the Ordnance Survey maps of the beginning of the twentieth century.
The name "Loch of the Lornes" also appears in some publications, possibly a misreading of the normal name.