|Post town:||Saffron Walden|
Littlebury is a small village and parish in north-west Essex. It had a population of 869 at the 2011 census, which includes the two hamlets of Littlebury Green and Catmere End. It lies around a mile and a half from the market town of Saffron Walden and fifteen miles south of Cambridge, the nearest city.
Situated in the Uttlesford hundred, the parish of Littlebury includes the hamlets of Catmere End, Chapel Green, and Littlebury Green which lie to the west and south-west of the church. It also includes parts of the estate of Audley End.
The area has been inhabited since prehistoric times, with Bronze Age tools having been found at Little Chesterford and Iron Age sherds to the east of the village. Ring Hill Fort to the west of Audley End is believed to date from the Iron Age, and there is significant evidence of Roman settlement.
The name Littlebury first appears in a 10th-century will as lytlan byrig and in 1008 as Lithanberi.
The village is located on the mediæval London to Newmarket road (now the B1383 and A11) as well as the River Cam. A Roman road crossed the parish at Littlebury Green, which is referred to as Streetly Green in some historic records.
The parish was owned by Ely Abbey from the ninth century, and was retained by the Crown following Dissolution. In 1601 it was sold to Thomas Sutton and in 1603 fell to the Earl of Suffolk. It passed between the Earls of Suffolk, owners of Audley End house, until in 1762 it was bequeathed to Lord Braybrooke.
The Cambridge to Liverpool Street line passes through the village and it formerly had its own station.
The parish church of Holy Trinity was built on the site of a Roman camp. The first record of it dates from 1163 and the church was considerably altered between 1870 and 1874. It houses a beautiful stone font with decorated oak canopy.
The village has a pub, the Queen's Head, a fourteenth-century coaching inn.
Other residents include Thomas Sutton, Master of the Ordnance in the North, and Joan Bradbury, widow of Thomas Bradbury who founded a school in the 17th century.
- "Parish population 2011". http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadKeyFigures.do?a=7&b=11125771&c=Littlebury&d=16&e=62&g=6426349&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1443282421850&enc=1. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Littlebury - history". Recorders of Uttlesford History. http://www.recordinguttlesfordhistory.org.uk/littlebury/littleburyhomepage.html.
- White (1848). White's Directory of Essex.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|