St Denys, Little Barford
|Post town:||St Neots|
|North East Bedfordshire|
Little Barford is a village in Bedfordshire, on the county boundary with Huntingdonshire, across which lies the town of St Neots. The village itself is very small and is close to the east bank of the Great Ouse.
The village of Great Barford is upstream on the river but far for being adjacent as the names would suggest is 7 miles away with much in between, in the Barford Hundred, while Little Barford is in the Biggleswade Hundred of the county.
The manor of Barford was held by the de Leyham family from about 1194, and then passed by inheritance into the de la Dale family in about 1316: the Dales owned Barford for two centuries, after which it passed by inheritance to the Fettiplace family, and subsequently to the Brownes.
The village contains a small church, a manor house, several cottages and a farmhouse, while almost a kilometre away to the north is Little Barford Power Station feeding the National Grid.
The parish church is dedicated to Saint Denys.
Nicholas Rowe, the dramatic poet, was born in "Rowe's Cottage" 1674.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Little Barford)
- A History of the County of Bedford, 'Parishes: Little Barford' - Volume 2 (1908)
- Ball. F. Elrington: The Judges in Ireland 1221-1921 John Murray London 1926