|Population:||3,596 (2004 est.)|
|W. Aberdeenshire & Kincardine|
Laurencekirk is a small town in Kincardineshire, lying in the valley between the Hill of Garvock and the Cairn O' Mount, while to travellers, the town stands just off the A90 Dundee to Aberdeen main road. Laurencekirk is in the Howe o' the Mearns, and though a modest place is the largest village in the Howe. Its famous landmark is the Johnston Tower, which can be seen on the peak of the Garvock.
The town's old name was Conveth, derived from the Gaelic "Coinmheadh".
Laurencekirk was, in the past, known for making snuff boxes with a special type of airtight hinge (known as a "Laurencekirk hinge") invented by James Sandy.
Lewis Grassic Gibbon wrote much about The Mearns and the surrounding area in his book Sunset Song. A tribute centre can be visited at Arbuthnott a few miles from Laurencekirk.
The Edinburgh to Aberdeen railway line passes through the town and Laurencekirk station, closed to passengers in 1967, was re-opened on 17 May 2009. This has enabled the town to become a commuter town for Aberdeen, Dundee and beyond.
Laurencekirk has three public houses; the Crown, The Royal and the Western, which have their own, distinct followings. It has a couple of takeaways and two chipshops.
There is a fair range of local shops in the town, and a police station, a library and health centre.
Two public parks both have children's play areas, and the memorial park houses a bowling green and a skate-board facility.
Younger people also have a drop-in centre called The Venue which is situated behind the Masonic Hall.
- Church of Scotland
- Scottish Episcopal Church
The local newspaper is The Kincardineshire Observer (often referred to as The Squeeker) which was first published in 1902
Laurencekirk's Local Community Radio Station is Mearns FM, broadcast from nearby Stonehaven.