Langford, Essex

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Langford Mill, Essex (geograph 844390).jpg
Langford Mill on the River Blackwater
Location: 51°44’58"N, 0°39’41"E
Population: 161  (2011[1])
Post town: Maldon
Postcode: CM9
Dialling code: 01621
Local Government
Council: Maldon

Langford is a village and parish at the west end of the Dengie peninsula of Essex close to Maldon.

Its name is derived from the "long ford", referring to the crossing of the River Blackwater that the village grew up around.[2]


The place-name 'Langford' is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it appears as Langheforda.

Langford was a possession of Beeleigh Abbey until 6 June 1536 when during the dissolution of the monasteries, King Henry VIII removed the property from the abbey's ownership. The Langford and Ulting railway station on the Witham-Maldon branch line was open from 1848 until 1964 when it was closed as part of the Beeching closures.

Religious sites

The local parish church is St Giles. The exact age of the church is not known, but it is generally considered to be of Norman construction. The church was restored in 1881.[3]


The Museum of Power is located in the former Southend Waterworks Langford Pumping Station. The museum also has a miniature railway, which offers passenger rides.[4]


Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Langford, Essex)