Kneesworth is a village in southern Cambridgeshire along the A1198, the route of the old Roman road, Ermine Street. Just to the west and running into Knnesworth (and sharing with it a civil parish) is the village of Bassingbourn. The Hertfordshire border town of Royston is a little to the south.
Kneesworth grew on Ermine Street, which became known as the Old North Road, where the Bassingbourn to Meldreth road crossed it, and its parish covered land to the east of the road. Recorded as Cnesworth in around 1218, the name Kneesworth possibly means "Cyneheah's enclosure", after an early landowner, which suggests that the settlement formed as an Anglo-Saxon farmstead.
The former manor house, Kneesworth Hall, was home to the Nightingale family between 1610 and 1831. In 1904 it was rebuilt as an Edwardian mansion by Viscount Knutsford. In 1947 it opened as a residential boys school and after being sold to the council in 1968 was known as Kneesworth House Approved School until its closure in 1986. The hall is now Kneesworth House Hospital.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Bassingbourn and Kneesworth)