All Saints, Knapwell
|Population:||110 (2001 est.)|
Knapwell is a hamlet in Cambridgeshire, found about 10 miles west of Cambridge. Its population was estimated at 110 in 2001. The village has no shops or pubs; the last pub was the Three Horseshoes, which closed as long ago as 1880.
It is adjacent to the wood known as Overhall Grove, which has a notably large number of surviving elm trees.
The parish church is All Saints. The village has had a church since at least 1180, and the present church was probably built in the early 14th century.
The mediæval church had a long, low chancel and a three-bay aisled nave all under a single roof, and a west tower. In 1864 the mediæval church was demolished, except for the tower, and rebuilt in a plain Gothic style. The original 14th century tower is built of field stones dressed with limestone and is unbuttressed.
The name Knapwell is of unclear origin though it seems clear that it is named after the chalybeate Red Well in the wood just to the east of the village. The well is probably ancient and was the only source of water to both the village and neighbouring Boxworth. Its waters were known for their medicinal properties.
The village's manor house was established in Norman times, and traces of a building and moat remain in the wood to the east of the church.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|