River South Tyne from Kirkhaugh Bridge
Although the Standard Gauge Alston Line from Haltwhistle to Alston passed through Kirkhaugh there was no station here when normal British Rail passenger services operated. The line opened in 1852 and closed in 1976.
Since 1983 a narrow gauge railway has opened on part of the original track bed. The railway, known as the South Tynedale Railway, is a 2-foot gauge line and runs two and a half miles from Alston to a station at Kirkhaugh and includes a viaduct over the River South Tyne. Efforts are being made to extend the line to Slaggyford.
The church, rebuilt in 1869, is thought to be the only church dedicated to the Holy Paraclete.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|