Gaelic: Cill Targhlain
Old Kiltarlity Church Yard
Kiltarlity is a small village in Inverness-shire, standing just two and a half miles south of Beauly, and twelve miles west of Inverness, within the Parish of Kiltarlity and Convinth. The village stands on the Bruiach Burn. Much of the land here is within the Beaufort Estate.
Fewer than 1000 people live here or hereabouts, but the village supports a primary school, Tomnacross Primary. Lovat Shinty Club play at Kiltarlity, on a pitch on the main street, Balgate Drive.
The name Kiltarlity comes from the Gaelic Cill Targhlain, which means 'church of Talorcan/Talorgan', the name of a number of Pictish kings.
The name 'Kiltarlity' historically refers to the entire parish, which includes a number of surrounding hamlets. The main settlement was known as 'Aultfearna' (Gaelic) or 'Allarburn' (Scots), which refer to the alder trees which grow beside the burn. This settlement is now usually known and signposted as 'Kiltarlity' or 'Kiltarlity Village'.
- "About Kiltarlity". Kiltarlity Community Council. http://www.kiltarlity.info/index.asp?pageid=28. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- Simon Taylor (October 2009). "Beauly, The Aird and Strathglass Place-Name Survey (North-East Inverness-shire)". http://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/beauly/. Retrieved 15 January 2011.