Church of St Mary the Virgin, Great Parndon
It had a recorded population of 18 people in 1086, rising to 41 by 1524–25. In 1622, there were 71 houses between the two parishes of Great and Little Parndon, with most names attributed to Great Parndon, given that Little Parndon was small and sparsely populated. The population of Great Parndon rose slowly from 300 in 1801 to 534 in 1891, reaching 576 in 1921, falling to 504 in 1931, then rising to 684 in 1951, by which time the building of Harlow new town had begun.
The civil parish of Great Parndon was abolished in 1955. It was mostly incorporated into Harlow, while small areas in the south-east and south-west were transferred to Roydon, Epping Upland, and North Weald Bassett.
- Powell, W.R. (Editor) (1983), "Parishes: Great Parndon", A History of the County of Essex, 8, British History Online, pp. 213–223, http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63855, retrieved 13 June 2010