From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Welsh: Glyn-nedd
Glynneath Town Hall
Grid reference: SN8706
Location: 51°44’49"N, 3°37’1"W
Population: 4,368  (2001)
Post town: Neath
Postcode: SA11
Dialling code: 01639
Local Government
Council: Neath Port Talbot

Glynneath also spelt Glyn Neath, is a small town on the River Neath in Glamorgan.

Industrialisation reached Glynneath when coal mining started in 1793, and rapidly expanded when the Neath Canal came to the village in 1775. Many features of the old canal still survive to the present time.[1]

There are waterfalls to the north east at Pontneddfechan near the Brecon Beacons and large parts of the rural area are heavily forested.

Notable buildings

The ruins of Aberpergwm House
Godfrey Avenue in Glynneath

Glynneath is home to the ruins of Aberpergwm House, once owned by Rhys ap Siancyn; the site now houses St Cadoc's Church (1809). Aberpergwm House became the home of the Williams family, Welsh gentry with a strong tradition of using the Welsh language over English. Their descendants include the last of the Welsh household bards Dafydd Nicolas and folksong collector Maria Jane Williams. The Williams' family motto y ddioddefws y orfu (He who suffers, triumphs) was adopted by Glamorgan County Council. The mansion itself was remodelled in 1876 but is now derelict and little of note remains of the building.

Sports and leisure

Glynneath once a year plays host to one of motor sport's most important challenges, the World Rally Championships (formerly known as the Lombard RAC rally or Rally GB). The British round of the Championship is probably the most important and toughest round of the series due to the ever changing weather conditions, a test of man and machine. Some of the biggest names in motor sport have taken part and failed to complete the British championship.

Glynneath also has an association with downhill mountain biking with the Welsh National Championships being held at Rheola. A huge following is now emerging within Glynneath.

  • Rugby: Glynneath RFC, founded in 1889.

Outside links


  1. The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales John Davies, Nigel Jenkins, Menna Baines and Peredur Lynch (2008) pp322 ISBN 978-0-7083-1953-6