Gaelic: Geàrr Lòchaidh
The Gairlochy swing bridge opening
|Post town:||Fort William|
|Ross, Skye and Lochaber|
Gairlochy is a clachan, or hamlet, in the Lochaber district of Inverness-shire, of population approximately 100. It lies on the southern shores of Loch Lochy, a large freshwater loch, surrounded by several other small crofting settlements, the largest of which is Achnacarry. Also close by is Highbridge, the site of the first skirmish of the 1745 Jacobite uprising.
Between 1803 and 1822, the Caledonian Canal was built, passing through Gairlochy, over the original site of the River Lochy. Two locks were built for access onto Lochy Lochy, but only one, the Upper Lock, is still in use. Between the the locks the B8004 road crosses the canal on a swing bridge.
Completed in 1896, the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway passed through the clachan, with a small island-platform station, called Gairlochy Station, in nearby Mucomir, the current site of a caravan park and hydro-electric power station.
- "Gazetteer for Scotland". Scottish-places.info. 2003-09-18. http://www.scottish-places.info/towns/towndetails2115.html. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway". www.railbrit.co.uk. http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Invergarry_and_Fort_Augustus_Railway/frame.htm. Retrieved 2010-06-26.