Flag of East Anglia
|Flag of East Anglia|
|Designed by||George Henry Langham|
The East Anglian flag as it is known today was invented by George Henry Langham and adopted by the London Society of East Anglians. It was first mentioned in print in 1900 and was flown locally in various places in Norfolk.
The flag draws upon the traditional arms of East Anglia attributed to the ancient Wuffingas dynasty: three crowns in a blue shield (a shield also used by the Crown of Sweden). This shield is superimposed on a St George's cross.
The device of three crownsis of unknown origin; some have connected it to the refers to the Anglo-Scandinavian heritage of much of East Anglia but there is no supporting evidence beyond the coincidence of its being shred with Sweden. The three crowns of East Anglia appear, carved in stone, on the font (dated to about 1400) in the parish church of Saxmundham, in Suffolk.
The crowns also appear in the arms of the borough of Bury St. Edmunds and the University of East Anglia.