Church of St Thomas a Becket, Farlam
|Penrith and The Border|
While the population has fluctuated over time, in the 2001 UK Census, the population stood at 590. The 2011 Census showed a population of 669.
The name Farlam is thought to originate from the Old English fearn ham, meaning 'ferny village' or 'ferny homestead', or perhaps, 'hemmed-in land by a ferny clearing'.
Farlam was originally divided into two townships, East Farlam and West Farlam, with a combined population in 1811 of 672 inhabitants and 115 houses. Hallbankgate and Kirkhouse were two hamlets located within the township of East Farlam, the former four miles south east of Brampton, and the latter, where the church stands, half-a-mile east of the village. Milton was a small village in West Farlam and is now in Brampton parish. The whole parish has a high elevation and topographically is quite hilly with an area in 1847 of 5,680 acres.
Farlam has had a village church as early as 1169, but the current church was erected in 1860. The old church was given by Robert de Vallibus to Lanercost Priory but after the dissolution along with all of the possessions of the priory, was granted to Sir Thomas Dacre, and is now in the patronage and impropriation of the Earl of Carlisle.
The current church is dedicated to St Thomas Becket and is a plain stone building in the early English style and was constructed for a cost of £2,000 in 1860.
The church consists of a nave, chancel and only one aisle with for accommodation for 400 worshippers. It occupies a site near the old church adjoining the hamlet of Kirkhouse. The land on which it stands was contributed by the Hon. Charles Howard as well as £500 towards its construction, Mrs Maria Thompson also contributed £200, a new organ for the church and erected the pictorial east window. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners granted £200, and the parishioners also contributed a large unknown sum of money towards the cost of erection.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- "Key to English Place-names". Nottingham University. http://kepn.nottingham.ac.uk/map/place/Cumberland/Farlam. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- Farlam: National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) (GENUKI)
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.