Village Hall frontage, Farcet
In this position, Farcet is a growing village. Its wider parish extends east across the fens as far as Pondersbridge, all in an abundant agricultural area and an area too in which Roman coins and other relics of that era have been unearthed. The grand house of the village is close to the church, rather elegant in its setting and mien, built in the semi-classical style in 1684.
The parish church is St Mary's. It is partly Norman and consists of a chancel, south chapel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of ashlar and rubble with stone dressings.
The church is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, but in the 12th century there was a chancel and an aisleless nave to which a west tower was added in the later years of that century. In the middle of the next century the chancel was rebuilt and a south chapel added. About 1275 the south aisle was added and was continued to the western wall of the tower, possibly with the intention of pulling down the tower and correspondingly lengthen the nave. The south porch was built in the 14th century.
The parish of Farcet was established in 1851, having previously been part of the parish of Stanground, its northern neighbour and the vicarage of Stanground included the curacy of the village church.
The church was restored in 1852 when the chancel and chapel are said to have been rebuilt, the nave roof renewed and the north aisle added. The tower was restored in 1894-7.
About the village
Farcet has a working men's club called the "The Village Club. The old River Nene flows through it and you can get to the Green Wheel cycling and walking network from it, on the end of St Mary's Street, near the working men's club.
Next to the village is Crown Lakes Country Park. The park has a well maintained walkway around several lakes as well as a dedicated area for the very rare Great Crested Newt, Britain's largest newt.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- "Letters from Mary, Countess Dowager of Westmorland, to the Master and Fellows of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, 1639". Notes and Queries (London: Oxford Journals) 4-11 (28): 25. 1868-07-11. http://nq.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/s4-II/28/25.pdf. Retrieved 2007-10-04.