East Orchard Castle
|East Orchard Castle|
Welsh: Castell Berllan Dwyrain
East Orchard Castle ruins
While it is called a castle it was not fortified in the style of one and is officially classed as post-mediæval and broadly defined as a domestic, manor house dwelling. The historic site in its entirety contains a manor house, a barn, a chapel and a dovecote. It was destroyed by Llywelyn Bren, probably during the revolt of 1316.
The Orchards were built by the Berkerolles family, who received the land from Robert Fitzhammon after the conquest of Glamorgan 1091.
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales have a number of drawings of East Orchard Castle.
It is located on the eastern boundary of the St Athan community, approximately 1,500 yards east of the Church of St Athan on the low cliff on the west side of the River Thaw, and is generally accessed by the lands of Rock Farm. There is a small stone bridge over a run-off of the river thaw that is likely related to the build of the castle.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about East Orchard Castle)
- "East Orchard Castle". Gatehouse Gazetteer. 6 July 2016. http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/Welshsites/391.html.
- Site detailsa; East Orchard Castle (RCAHMW)
- Clark, p. 63
- "St Athan Village. Castles". Archived from the original on 20 November 2008. https://web.archive.org/web/20081120193220/http://www.stathanvillage.co.uk/html/castles.html.
- "Ruins of East Orchard Castle". UK Beaches Guide. 2016. http://ukbeaches.guide/photos/uk-photos.php?photo=161954.
- Clark, G.T. (1869). "East Orchard Manor House". Archaeologia Cambrensis 24: 63–78. https://archive.org/stream/archaeologiacam18assogoog#page/n83/mode/1up.
- Stan Awbery (1959). The Story of St. Athan and Aberthaw.