East Dean, Sussex
East Dean pond
The village set in a valley in the South Downs has an Anglican parish church dedicated to All Saints, and a Nonconformist chapel. The village hall was formerly the school and bears the date 1782. There is one pub, The Star and Garter.
The church, the pub and most of the houses are built of flint, usually with brick quoins and window dressings. A fire in 1852 destroyed eight houses and several barns, leaving others damaged. Slate roofs replaced the thatch on some of these.
The parish has a land area of 4,109 acres. In the 2001 census 217 people lived in 102 households, of whom 107 were economically active.
Flint tools from the Stone age can often be found on the downs and there are a number of British Bronze Age round barrows in the parish. The outline of Celtic field systems can still be seen on Court Hill north of the village. Roman pottery and coins have been found near the village.
East Dean have a football team, founded in 1880.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about East Dean, Sussex)