Dollymount Strand and North Bull Island
Dollymount is primarily residential, having just a few shops and a restaurant near the fountain pond of St. Anne's Park. Most commercial facilities are found in the main Clontarf centres.
The famous Wooden Bridge from Clontarf links to Bull Island and the three-mile long stretch of sandy beach and dunes on the island's eastern shore; while the island is located in Clontarf and Raheny, the beach is called Dollymount Strand.
Dollymount is beside Clontarf.
The name of Dollymount would seem to have originated with a house bearing that title which stood on or adjoining the site of Sea Park in Mount Prospect Avenue, and which is shown in Duncan's Map of 1820. "Dollymount House" appears in the Dublin Directory up to 1836, after which it disappears, doubtless having been renamed, and in 1838 the name appears for the first time as that of a district, under the heading of "Green Lanes, Dollymount.
It is stated that the designation was adopted in the first instance by a member of the Vernon family as a compliment to his wife, by name Dorothy, or Dolly Vernon." The Green Lanes are still referred to as simply "Clontarf" in Thom's Irish Almanac & Official Directory of 1849.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Finn, Melanie (17 July 2008). "Dylan gives U2 short back and sides for Dollyer photoshoot". Evening Herald. http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/dylan-gives-u2-short-back-and-sides-for-dollyer-photoshoot-27879149.html.
- "The Neighbourhood of Dublin" (Weston St. John Joyce, 3rd edition, Dublin, 1920)