|Rutland and Melton|
The Cottesmore Hunt takes its name from the village, though the kennels are not in the parish. Sir William Lowther brought the foxhounds he had bought from Thomas Noel to Cottesmore in 1740.
Domesday Book entry
According to the Domesday Book (1086), in the time of King Edward the Confessor the manor Cottesmore was held, together with Greetham, by Goda, who held 12 carucates of land, three of which were held in tax to the Danegeld. The King held three carucates in demesne and three socmen with 40 villeins and six bordars held 20 carucates. Of the land held by the manor, Goisfridus held half a carucate; he had one plough and eight villeins. Cottesmore also had 40 acres of meadow and a wood measuring a mile in length by seven furlongs in breadth.