Comberton village green
|Population:||2,300 (2006 est.)|
The village has two churches, one pub (The Three Horseshoes), shops, a primary school (Meridian Community Primary School) and a post office, a recreation ground, a doctor's surgery, a dental surgery, and at the centre of the village, a village pond with resident ducks.
The Greenwich Meridian runs close to the village and is marked by a Meridian Line stone plaque on the north sides of the main road (B1046). It is opposite the Cambridge Meridian Golf Club, situated between Comberton and the neighbouring village of Toft. The line runs up the 14th fairway according to the club, but a check of the co-ordinates reveals that it is actually on the white tee of the 15th hole.
Comberton is about 6 miles southwest of the city of Cambridge, and just half a mile east of the Greenwich Meridian, lying at a modest elevation of around 25 feet above sea level. Nearby villages include Barton to the east and Toft to the west.
- Church of England: St Mary's, an Early English-style building dating from the 13th century,
- Baptist: Church dating from 1861.
Archaeological finds, including a Neolithic polished stone axe (found to the south of the current village) and a Bronze Age barrow (to the north), suggest there has been a settlement here for thousands of years. A Roman villa was discovered in 1842.
The village is named in the Domesday Book as Cumbertone. Some houses in the village date from the 14th century.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Village website – with a diary of activities, minutes of meetings and village magazines