Gaelic: Cúil Mhuine
The Old Mill, Collooney
Collooney or Coloony is a town in County Sligo. Its name is from the Irish Cúil Mhuine, meaning 'nook of the thicket'.
Collooney is located just off the N4 (Dublin to Sligo) and N17 (Sligo to Galway) roads, having been bypassed twice, by the N4 in 1998, and the N17 in 1992, and is the meeting point of both roads. The town was a significant railway centre, with no less than three railway stations. In addition to the one remaining Collooney railway station, opened on 3 December 1862, (on the railway from Dublin to Sligo) there was a station on the line to Claremorris (The Western Railway Corridor) and on the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway line to Enniskillen.
- "Collooney station". Railscot - Irish Railways. http://www.railscot.co.uk/Ireland/Irish_railways.pdf. Retrieved 2007-09-07.