The Old Schoolhouse, Chittering
|South East Cambridgeshire|
The village stands on the Ely Road (the A10) between Waterbeach and Stretham. It has one pub, The Traveller's Rest. Another hamlet, Elford Closes, lies to the north of Chittering.
Standing as it does towards the southern end of the Great Fen, the marshes in the Chittering area were first settled in Roman times. Investigations around Causeway End Farm in Chittering Fen show evidence of dwellings and inclosed fields that were occupied from the early 2nd to the early 4th century. Denny Abbey, just to the south of the hamlet, was built in around 1150.
The fenland around Chittering has been known as North Fen since at least the 14th century. Over the following centuries it was gradually divided into smaller areas, and Chittering Fen – so named by the early 15th century – covered an area of around 700.0 acres (283.3 ha) by the 19th century and was principally used for growing hay.
A school was built in the village to accommodate 54 children in 1877, but numbers had declined to only 19 by the start of the Second World War. The school closed in 1969.
The former micro-brewery, the City of Cambridge Brewery (originally located in Cheddars Lane, Cambridge), used a reedbed system to deal with its waste water, but brewing ceased on the site in 2007 and the remaining assets were sold off in 2011. There was a second pub in the area, the Plough and Horses, which was open from the 19th century until around 1900.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely, Volume 9 (1989) pp 237–243}}
- "Brewery History". City of Cambridge Brewery. http://www.cambridge-brewery.co.uk/brewery-history/brewery-history.html. Retrieved 2010-02-25.