Carnoustie High Street
The town was founded in the late 18th century, and grew rapidly throughout the 19th century due to the expansion of the local textile industry. its seaside location made Carnoustie a popular tourist resort from the early Victorian era up to the latter half of the 20th century. It is best known though for its associations with golf.
Carnoustie serves as a commuter town for Dundee, 11 miles westward.
Carnoustie stands on the North Sea coast of Angus, with Buddon Ness to the southwest, 10 mile eastward of Dundee and almost 7 miles south-westward of Arbroath. The town is built on relatively flat ground.
The town has grown to straddle the boundary of the Parishes of Barry and Panbride, marked by the Lochty Burn, and has absorbed a number of villages hamlets, such as Greenlawhill, Gardynebourg and Hunterstown to the west, and Gallowlaw, Panbride and Westhaven to the east. The village of Barry lies to the west, now contiguous with Carnoustie.
The shoreline has a sandy beach west of the burn, known as Barry Sands or Carnoustie Beach. Further west Buddon Ness stands out into the sea, on which lie three golf courses of Carnoustie Golf Links and Panmure Golf Club.
Tourism and Recreation
The early nineteenth century popularised seaside resorts. Carnoustie profited to some extent in its early years but the boom years came with the railway. In the early twentieth century Carnoustie was popularly promoted as the Brighton of the North, if not alone in this designation.
Golf has been played on Barry links since the 16th century. In 1850 a formal 10 hole golf course was laid out to the design of Alan Robertson of St Andrews, improved in 1867 by Old Tom Morris, who added a further 8 holes.
- Church of Scotland
- Carnoustie Church
- Barry Church
- Carnoustie Panbride Church
- United Free Church of Scotland: Kinloch Street
- Carnoustie Christian Fellowship
- Scottish Episcopal Church: Holyrood Church (Maule Street and Holyrood Street)
- The Roman Catholic: St Anne's Church in Thomas Street.