The recent completion of bypass for the village on the A930 from Dundee to Carnoustie is something that was originally planned before the Second World War but has taken a wee while to get done, priorities being as they are. There is a water mill (Barry Mill) operated by the National Trust for Scotland.
The village is served by Barry Links railway station. The village primary school which closed in 2007.
The Parish of Barry, which was originally known as Fethmoreth, Fethmure, Fettermore or Fethmuref was originally bestowed to the monks of Balmerino Abbey in Fife by Alexander II in 1230. An early record of it can be found in a proverb attributed to Thomas the Rhymer:
The braes of Fettermore
Hae been a gude ship's shore
The monks originally managed the lands from the Grange of Barry and latterly the land was controlled by the office of the Bailies of Barry, an early holder of this position being Sir Thomas Maule of Panmure in 1511.
A number of feus were granted in the Parish around that time, including Ravensby in 1539, Gedhall to David Gardyne in 1541, half of Barry Links and Cowbyres to Walter Cant in 1545 and the other half of the links to Robert Forrester in 1552.
The land was annexed by the crown at the Reformation following an Act of Parliament in 1587 and the Bailiery of Barry was granted by James VI as a heritable gift to Patrick Maule in 1590. Ownership of the lands was granted by the King to James Elphinstone, Secretary of State in 1599 (ratified 1605), and was sold to George Maule, 2nd Earl of Panmure in 1667 (ratified in 1672) for £746 13s 4d. The land was forfeit following the involvement of James Maule, 4th Earl of Panmure in the Jacobite Rebellion in 1715.
Barry Buddon Training Area
There are Ministry of Defence-owned rifle ranges and a large training area (Barry Buddon Training Area) on the nearby Dunes, adjacent to Carnoustie Golf Links. The history of its present function dates back to the mid-19th century when the area was used for at least 30 years by the Forfarshire Rifle Volunteers, the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry the Panmure Battery of the Forfarshire Artillery Brigade, and a Royal Naval Reserve Battery. In 1897 the land was sold by Lord Panmure to the War Office for use as a military training area, for which it has been used ever since.
Barry Buddon covers 2,300 acres, of which 600 acres is foreshore, with at least an equal amount of sea danger area, due to the position of the ranges. The camp itself was redeveloped in the late 1990s, with accommodation for 507. It is one of the best equipped camps in Scotland, and as a result is commonly referred to by Service-personnel as Barry Butlins. Typically, with all camps and facilities in use, about 30,000 personnel pass through annually from the British Army and the other arms of the Armed Forces, such as 45 Commando based in Arbroath, as well as youth cadets and some civilian organisations.
With 20 different ranges, it forms the largest rifle range complex in Scotland, although not all can be used simultaneously. The ranges were used in the 1986 Commonwealth Games and are planned to be used in the 2014 Commonwealth Games. The camp is primarily an infantry training area, and small arms, light and medium mortars, and some anti-tank weapons are fired.
Because of the amount of unexploded ordnance from years of military use, the public are restricted to the metalled roads but they are free to walk along the beaches, when the red signal flags are down and red lights extinguished.
Most of the training area is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and an EU Special Area of Conservation (SAC), as well as a Special Protection Area (SPA) for birds under the European Birds Directive.
- Cheviot, A. (1896). Proverbs, Proverbial expressions and popular rhymes of Scotland; collected and arr., with introd., notes and parallel phrases. Paisley: Alexander Gardner. http://www.archive.org/download/proverbsproverbi00chevuoft/proverbsproverbi00chevuoft_bw.pdf.
- Campbell, J.A. (1867). Balmerino and its abbey, a parochial history. Edinburgh: William Patterson. http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&id=aZELAAAAYAAJ&dq=history+of+balmerino+abbey&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=Mxb7Yik3Za&sig=3KUZPiy5FiigoTP1Mc5Uvtls1hI&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPP5,M1. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- James VI (1605). "Ratificatioun in favouris of the Lord Balmirrenoch and his sone, James Elphingstoun, of thair infeftmentis of Ballumbie and Barntoun". 7 June 1605 Parliamentary Register, Edinburgh/Perth.. rps.ac.uk. http://www.rps.ac.uk/search.php?action=fc&fn=jamesvi_ms&id=id7193&query=&type=ms&variants=#m1605_6_123_d7_ms. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- James VI (1605). "Erectioun of the abbacie of Balmirrenoch, with the landis and baroneis of Kirknewtoun and Balerno unite thairto, in ane temporall lordschip in favouris of the Lord Balmirrenoch (Erection of the abbacy of Balmerino, with the lands and baronies of Kirknewton and Balerno united thereto, in a temporal lordship in favour of [James Elphinstone, Lord Balmerino)". Records of the Parliaments of Scotland. http://www.rps.ac.uk/search.php?action=fetch_jump&filename=jamesvi_trans&jump=jamesvi_m1605_6_119_d7_ms&type=trans&fragment=t1605_6_119_d7_trans. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "Ratification in favours of the earle of Panmuire". rps.ac.uk. 1672. http://www.rps.ac.uk/search.php?action=fc&fn=charlesii_ms&id=id18588&query=&type=ms&variants=#m1672_6_142_d7_ms. Retrieved 2008-09-11.