Cadishead Viaduct over the Manchester Ship Canal
|Worsley and Eccles South|
The name 'Cadishead' is first found, in the thirteenth century, as Cadewalesate, and it is thought to come from the name 'Cædda' (an unknown progenitor) and Old English words wælla sæt, to mean "Cædda's steam dwelling".
The earliest record of Cadishead date to 1212, and show that the whole of Cadishead – then called Cadewalesate – was rented from King John by Gilbert Notton for four shillings (20p) a year, a sum equivalent to about £650 today.
Until the early 19th century most of the area was part of the peat bog known as Chat Moss, but by 1805 work had started to reclaim the land. The opening of the Manchester Ship Canal in 1894 had a major effect on the subsequent development of Cadishead. The Cadishead Viaduct crosses the canal here, once carrying the railway line.
The Northbank Industrial Park dominates the east of Cadishead and the border with Irlam and supplies many jobs to the local area.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Mills, A. D. (2003), "Cadishead", A Dictionary of British Place-Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-852758-6, http://www.oxfordreference.com/views/ENTRY.html?subview=Main&entry=t40.e2612 (subscription required)
- Irlam & Cadishead – Local History, Salford City Council, http://www.salford.gov.uk/living/yourcom/salfordlife/aboutsalford/salfordlocalhistory/localhistory-irlcadi.htm, retrieved 10 November 2007
- Currency converter, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/, retrieved 10 April 2007
- Cooper, Glynis (2005), Salford: An Illustrated History, The Breedon Books Publishing Company, ISBN 1-85983-455-8