St Peter and St Paul's church, Burgh-le-Marsh
|Boston and Skegness|
The town is built on a large hill surrounded by former marsh land, and the marsh influenced the town's name, Burgh Le Marsh. Both the windmill and church are visible from far distances. A Roman road passes through the town on the way to Skegness, and comes from the north-west by way of Tetford and Ulceby. The town is on the site of a former Roman fort.
Saxon burial mound
Near the parish church is a large mound, where Anglo-Saxon burial remains were found during the 1930s. There is a dip in the top of the mound, it is suggested that it was used for cockfighting, and to this day it is known as Cock Hill.
About the town
There is a traditional butcher, baker and convenience shops. There is also a fishmonger, a post office, a Chinese takeaway, a fish and chip shop, a library, a market, an estate agent and a florist.
The parish church of Burgh-le-Marsh is the Church of St Peter and St Paul. It is Grade I listed.
- Church of England:
- St Peter and St Paul
- Baptist: Burgh Baptist Church
- Methodist: Burgh le Marsh Methodist Chapel
About the town
The town has two tower mills, the untarred Hanson's Mill of 1855 (originally four-sailed), now a residence, and the tarred Dobson's Mill, which is run as a museum. Built in 1813 by Sam Oxley (who also built Alford Windmill a sister mill in the nearby town of Alford, Lincolnshire) it is unusual in its being the only left-handed tower mill having five sails. "Left-handed sails" mean they rotate clockwise when viewed from the front - a very rare type of windmill.
- Burgh le Marsh Church Website
- Burgh Le Marsh Town website
- Town council
- Poacher Country
- Visit Lincolnshire
- St Peter & St Paul CE Primary school
- Romans To Skegness
- Burgh le Marsh now has a By Pass
- A158 Burgh le Marsh Bypass
- Hotels and Public Houses
- High Street
- National Heritage List England no. 1222765: Church of St Peter and St Paul (Historic England)
- Windmill at Burgh Le Marsh
- Hanson's windmill today
- Five-sailed Dobson's windmill