From Wikishire
(Redirected from Bryn-Crug)
Jump to: navigation, search

Bryncrug, sometimes spelt Bryn-crug, is a village and parish in Merionethshire. The village is situated to the north-east of the town of Tywyn, at the junction of the A493 and B4405 roads. The Afon Fathew flows through the village and into the River Dysynni. Although the village is usually spelt Bryncrug, the parish name is hyphenated as Bryn-crug.[1]

To the south west of the village stood Ynysymaengwyn, a mansion built in 1758 but now demolished. To the south stood Cynfal motte-and-bailey castle, built in 1137 by Cadwaladr ap Gruffydd, brother of Owain Gwynedd.[2]

The poet David Richards (1751-1827), better known as Dafydd Ionawr, was born at Glanyrafon near Bryncrug.

Mary Jones, famous for walking to Bala at the age of sixteen to buy a Bible, lived in the village when older, and was buried in the village after her death in 1864.[3]

The football club, Tywyn & Bryncrug FC, play their home matches in the village.


Coordinates: 52°36′32″N 04°03′22″W / 52.60889°N 4.05611°W / 52.60889; -4.05611

Flag of Merionethshire.svg
 This Merionethshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.