The Old Fox, School Lane, Bricket Wood
|Post town:||St Albans|
Bricket Wood is a village in Hertfordshire, found approximately 4½ miles from St Albans. It is part of the parish of St Stephen, somewhat squashed up against the M25 at the north and the main Watford-St Albans road on which and to the east of which Bricket Wood stands.
Bricket Wood railway station is on the London Midland line between St Albans Abbey and Watford Junction stations.
Close to the village stands Hanstead House, built by Sir David Yule in 1925, who is buried in the grounds. It was subsequently bought by Herbert W Armstrong to serve as his second Ambassador College campus. It was a training centre for HSBC until the latter centre closed in 2011.
The village is home to the border Morris Dancing team, Wicket Brood, one of the best known teams in the area.
The village of Bricket Wood has been host to at least six naturist clubs: Fiveacres Country Club, Spielplatz, The Sun-Folk Society, Gardenia (originally named Silverbirch), Diogenes Sunlight Society (also known as The Phoenix Recreational Society), and The Suncampers. The Fiveacres is the oldest naturist club in the land. Gardenia has now closed and been built on, Diogenes became the Diogenes Sun Club when it moved to near Maple Cross. The Suncampers have gone but the three remaining clubs are all still open.
The clubs have been there for many years. Fiveacres Country Club was founded in 1927 off Oakwood Road and is the UK's oldest naturist club on the same site. Spielplatz was founded by the Macaskies in 1929 after visiting Fiveacres and they purchased their own site in the village in Lye Lane, The Sun-Folk Society started in 1931.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Bricket Wood)