Brechin Cathedral round tower
Brechin is a royal burgh in Angus.
Brechin has been described as a city because of its cathedral and its status as the seat of a pre-Reformation diocese (which continues today as an episcopal seat of the Scottish Episcopal Church), but this status is not official. Nonetheless, the title "City" is widely used, for example by the City of Brechin and District Community Council, City of Brechin Civic Trust and Brechin City Football Club.
Along with the cathedral and round tower, part of the chapel of Brechin's Maison Dieu hospital survives from the Middle Ages (both in the care of Historic Scotland).
The Pictavia centre by the town serves as a museum of the locality and of Pictish culture, displaying several carved stones), a small museum in a former town house, and the now closed Brechin Station of the Caledonian Railway.
The town is well known for its cathedral, with eleventh century round tower (in the care of Historic Scotland), one of only two of these Irish-style towers surviving in Scotland, the other being at Abernethy, Perthshire. The tower was originally free-standing, but is now incorporated in the framework of the cathedral.
The cathedral has been much altered, but still contains mediæval work of the 13th and 14th centuries, notable a handsome western tower and processional door.
- Beckett, J V, City status in the British Isles, 1830–2002, Historical urban studies. Aldershot 2005
- "UK Cities". Department for Constitutional Affairs. 2002. http://www.dca.gov.uk/constitution/city/citygj.htm#part6. Retrieved 2008-08-15.
- City of Brechin & District Area Partnership. "Members". http://www.brechinpartnership.org.uk/members.cfm. Retrieved 2008-08-15.