Brandon Hill from the north-west
|Summit:|| 1,690 feet S697402 |
Brandon Hill is the highest hill in County Kilkenny, rising to 1,690 feet. It is found seven miles east of Thomastown, in the south of County Kilkenny, in the Barony of Gowran. The village of Graiguenamanagh is at the base of the hill.
It is the termination of the chain of granite mountains that raise from the shores of Dublin bay. The base of Brandon Hill on the side of the River Barrow and the hill running to Graigue is composed of schist rock. This blackish siliceous schistus, sometimes containing grains of quartz and when it is broken it has a shivery texture and is hard enough to scratch glass. There are a few beds of marble and limestone gravel near the foot of the mountain.
- Gazetteer (1822), The Edinburgh Gazetteer, or Geographical Dictionary: Containing the Various Countries, Kingdoms, States, Cities, Towns, Mountains, &c. Of the World., Volume I.a, Edinburgh: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and brown, and Hurst, Robinson, and Co. London .
- Wakefield, Edward (1812), An account of Ireland, statistical and political, London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, ISBN 3175696, http://books.google.ie/books?id=250TAAAAYAAJ
- Lewis, Samuel (1837), A topographical dictionary of Ireland : comprising the several counties; cities; boroughs; corporate, market and post towns; parishes; and villages, with historical and statistical descriptions embellished with engravings of the arms of the cities, bishopricks, corporate towns, and boroughs ; and of the seals of the several municipal corporations, London, ISBN 2000665, http://books.google.ie/books?id=wqzRAAAAMAAJ .
- encyclopaedia, Edinburgh (1830), The Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by D. Brewster, Volume VII., Edinburgh, http://books.google.ie/books?id=8HvmwadVu4AC .
- George Newenham Wright (1834), A new and comprehensive gazetteer, Volume II., Edinburgh, http://books.google.ie/books?id=CCMDAAAAYAAJ .
- Seward, William Wenman (1795), Topographia Hibernica: Or the Topography of Ireland, Dublin, ISBN 1-4373-5407-6, http://books.google.ie/books?id=7IAuAAAAMAAJ